NPAPI (was: java web start / error)

Daniel Nebdal dnebdal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 12:57:47 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 at 04:07, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/03/2021 14:01, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > … worked well with firefox-esr which I use because the plugins
> > are deprecated using the newer firefox.  Despite that it also used to
> > work with the regular firefox. …
>
> For reference – I dug up some of what's below in response to a question
> in IRC about <https://wiki.freebsd.org/NPAPI>:
>
> Removal of NPAPI plugin support in Firefox 85
> <https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.platform/c/NsdReYslBU4/m/b9FwjVAbBAAJ>
>
> Java Plugin is Removed from JDK 8u for Linux, Solaris, and MacOS Platforms
> <https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/8u271-relnotes.html#JDK-8240210>
>
> <https://github.com/davidben/nspluginwrapper> no recent activity, and
> related <https://nspluginwrapper.org/> does not respond.
>
> <https://askubuntu.com/a/905937/25036> about Pale Moon.

At this point, it may be easier to get hold of an old OS, an old copy
of Firefox, and an old Java plugin, install them in a virtual machine,
and firewall it so the VM only has access to that one site. Much like
VHS, you apparently need to view it on preserved tech of a similar
vintage. On the positive side, a setup like that should at least keep
working indefinitely, unless they also manage to use HTTPS
certificates an old browser can't understand.

--
Daniel Nebdal