Plans for git

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Mon Sep 21 20:55:16 UTC 2020

Lev Serebryakov wrote in
 <23e7fc1c-6769-ceaf-4089-46e5cc575c20 at FreeBSD.org>:
 |On 19.09.2020 19:05, Bakul Shah wrote:
 |>> These are the main ones. The three down sides are lack of $FreeBSD$ \
 |>> support
 |>> and tags in general.
 |>
 |> Can a git hook be used for this?
 |
 |git filters could be used for that, problem is it should be local config\
 |uration. You could not configure filters in clones automatically :-(

I do not think you can do that.  Once i switched to git (2011 or
a bit before) i even looked around for this, because i have been
educated by BSD and used such tags everywhere, and found a thread
with the Linus from where the elks live regarding this topic.
I guess that $SHA-1$ git (supported by git by then) is the outcome
of this thread, offered as a compromise.  That mail thread exists.

--steffen