Emacs tramp mode doesn't work with CURRENT

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 10 20:49:44 UTC 2020

On 1/28/20 8:57 AM, John F Carr wrote:
> I use emacs tramp mode, which opens an ssh connection to a remote machine for file access.  It works to Linux and FreeBSD 12.1, but not to CURRENT.  There has been a change in the way characters are echoed by the shell, with 12.1 treating a consecutive run of backspace as an atomic unit and CURRENT processing them one at a time.  This is not necessarily a bug, but it is a nuisance and independently it is suboptimal.

I have the same breakage with an amd64 laptop running HEAD (and using
tramp-mode from emacs on a 12.x host)

Have you been able to bisect it at all?  I think libedit is probably a
good candidate as well.

What I see is that tramp-mode just hangs until I kill the ssh session it
is using, and then I see the same output you had below in the debug
window showing the extraneous newlines.

--
John Baldwin