CURRENT: swap issues and dying jails

Chris bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Mon Jun 29 08:03:38 UTC 2020

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 09:03:32 +0200 O. Hartmann ohartmann at walstatt.org said

> Due to the circumstance I have no access anymore to the host in question,
> I'll
> report a problem occured out of the blue around last week's update of
> CURRENT
> with poudriere and swapspace.
>
> Problem: under heavy load, the host dies - no ssh connection possible
> anymore,
> all jails are in the state "dead".
> The box in question is running CURRENT, most recent, last update yesterday
> morning (28th of June, around 1400 UTC). Revision numbers are added as soon
> have access to the box again.
>
> The host has 16 GB phsyical RAM and 64 GB configured swap - which the kernel
> complains about to increase swapzone or something similar. The host runs
> poudriere with both CURRENT and 12-STABLE jails (both recent versions). In
> the
> past 18 months we pushed the box to the limits with poudriere allwoing 4
> poudriere jobs with each 4 threads - never had any problem except slowing
> down
> the system, but always responsive anyhow and never crashing or loosing
> network
> connection.
>
> The first time the box died this way was 28th, after the last update of both
> host and jails has been performed 26th June, ~ 1400 UTC. Jails running
> 12-stable are the first poudriere jobs running and that is the state were
> the
> first crash/hung occured yesterday.
>
> Is this a known problem?
There was a situation very similar to yours mentioned over the last week
on freebsd-stable at . By Donald Wilde, under the title: swap space issues
I believe he also used 12.
There was a great deal of technical advice that appeared to improve his
situation. Interestingly; he was also experiencing this on his "builder"
altho he was using synth as opposed to poudriere.

Maybe it'll help your situation?

--Chris