`shutdown -p now` fails to power off with VirtualBox UEFI boot

Rebecca Cran rebecca at bsdio.com
Sun Jun 21 08:55:00 UTC 2020

On 6/21/20 12:37 AM, Olivier Cochard-Labbé wrote:

> Same problem using FreeBSD current UEFI guests with bhyve, so it should
> happen in any kind of hypervisor.
> It is an old regression (in the sense of -current, so older than 6 months).
> My idea was to generate very light UEFI VM images (because the snapshot VM
> images are BIOS based) and scripting a bisector tool, but I never took the
> time to do it.

The problem on FreeBSD CURRENT at least is caused by the bhyve UEFI
firmware that's running: I've committed a fix upstream to fix it
(https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/commit/f159102a130fac9b416418eb9b6fa35b63426ca5),
but still need to get CSM support working again before we can switch
everyone over from the UDK2014.SP1 build to the newer code.

--
Rebecca Cran