CTF: UEFI HTTP boot support

Rebecca Cran rebecca at bsdio.com
Tue Jun 16 18:25:20 UTC 2020

On 6/16/20 5:17 AM, Miguel C wrote:

> I've been trying out FreeBSD with raspberry Pi4 (4GB) and wanted to see
> what the state of HTTP BOOT is in FreeBSD, so I bumped into this!
>
> I'm curious if it should be possible to point to a img/iso directly (I
> tried to use the img.xz unpacked it and make it available on a local web
> server and that didn't seem to work for me)  but maybe thats cause those
> images miss something, so arm64 aside does that work for amd64? I.E. using
> the bootonly.iso?

Unfortunately HTTP boot only works as far as the kernel: UEFI fetches
loader.efi, the loader fetches and runs the kernel over HTTP -- and then
you need to use NFS to mount the filesystem (or have a local root
filesystem).

UEFI also has RamDisk support, but I don't think that's for remote
ISO/disk files, just local files.

--
Rebecca Cran