git and the loss of revision numbers

monochrome monochrome at twcny.rr.com
Tue Dec 29 15:11:08 UTC 2020

ok, this appears to be what I was looking for

example:
git reset --hard f20c0e331
then:
git pull --ff-only
is again able to update as normal

I should point out also that this is from the point of view of any
random person just building freebsd from source, not a developer, so
there are no local changes. Though it does blow away changes to the conf
file, that's a lesser issue to deal with.

thanks!