FreeBSD Core Team Response to Controversial Social Media Posts

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun May 19 16:50:02 UTC 2019

On Sun, May 19, 2019, 10:25 AM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know, it's not appropriate to find fun in a serious discussion, but
> these six words did make me chuckle:
>
>  > … freedom of expression … End of discussion.
>
> No offence intended. I was speed-reading (waiting for a browser to
> launch) and those six words leapt out at me :-)

Yes. There will always be limits, just like in real life. You can't tell
fire in a theater, and claim freedom of expression, for example. FreeBSD is
also an international group and while we share many norms, there are also
surprising differences in them or in the extent to which people think our
community norms should be policed in contexts only tangentially related to
the project. It's really quite a thorny problem to craft a response to that
is both meaningful and would enjoy the support of most of this diverse
community in whose name the response is created.

Warner

Wishing you all a peaceful end to the weekend,

Graham