GPT boot has less features than legacy MBR-based one (Was: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config)

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Sat Jan 19 16:00:25 UTC 2019

> On January 19, 2019 at 2:52:28 AM, Lev Serebryakov (lev at freebsd.org(mailto:lev at freebsd.org)) wrote:
>
> > I have never seen such item in BIOS Setup. I've checked two MoBos now (one is
> > Supermicro X9something and other is brand-new Goldmont-based Chinese MiniPC
> > like Intel NUK): both have one knob in setup about boot type
> > (Legacy/UEFI/Auto) and if UEFI is selected, Supermicro MoBo (but not Chinese
> > one) could be booted to "UEFI Console" which is not documented anywhere.
> >
> > Ok, I've checked my desktop Asus Z170-A, but it is graphical and I could
> > not find or understand anything in this home-rown UI with crazy-fast mouse.
> >

> On ASUS systems you normally press F8 during POST to bring up the boot menu, and F11 on Supermicro systems.

ASUS should learn to put that stuff on screen... like everyone else.
I've been hitting the delete and going to the bios/boot tap which
also has a boot selection screen on one of my machines because I
did not know F8 existed.

Thank you!
--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org