drm2 in base

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Fri Sep 28 20:38:25 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 02:21:24PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 2:02 PM Steve Kargl <
> sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 02:47:39PM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> > > On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:00:02AM -0700 I heard the voice of
> > > Steve Kargl, and lo! it spake thus:

> > > Well, please don't tell that to the 6450 I've got running on
> > > drm-next-kmod (which also spent some time on drm-stable)...
> > >

> > See the URL I posted.
> >
> > How did you get around the "fence_wait returned with error -512"
> > messages filling /var/log/messages.
> >

> Ah, that thread...  OK. I'm back with you...
>
> > It also does not get around the problem that
> > drm-legacy-kmod has been advertised as the drop-in
> > replacement for those that use drm2 and have older
> > hardware.
> >

> It should be. The fact that it's not is concerning and should be
> addressed...

Yes, it is concerning, and the reason for my request to retain
drm2 in head.  I'm willing to work with Johannes and Niclas
or whomever to get things working.  Unfortunately, kernel hacking
is a little beyond my skills.

AFAICT, the drm-*-kmod ports all depend on the same gpu-firmware
port, which as the name indicates holds all the firmware.  It
seems that drm-legacy-kmod needs to learn how to parse the new
naming scheme (and may be a new scheme for packing the firmware
into a *.ko file).

--
Steve