Enabling the WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD knob for 12.0-REL

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Thu Sep 27 15:55:24 UTC 2018

> On 27 September 2018 at 06:46, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:
> >
> > So, I want to know where and when each system was compiled.
> > Why lose this information by default?
>
> This comes down to the simple fact that our build / release process
> does not currently distinguish between building a world or kernel
> that's destined for a binary release, and building for a bespoke
> install. Right now the release process inherently builds with knobs
> set at their defaults.
>
> The original plan would have flipped the default on the branch as part
> of the release process, but there was a concern we might miss
> something so it was enabled in advance of the branch.

And as further information the plan is to flip this back off
in ^head after the stable/12 branch is made, and then again,
flip it off in stable/12 after the releng/12.0 branch is made,
thus returning everything back to how it was, except in releng
branch.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org