Suspend, resume, UEFI, CSM, drm-stable-kmod and drm-next-kmod with Radeon HD 7570M

Graham Perrin grahamperrin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 07:01:28 UTC 2018

On 22/08/2018 19:27, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 6:00 PM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com <mailto:grahamperrin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 22/08/2018 17:50, Pete Wright wrote:
>     > not sure this will address this specific issue - but have you tested setting this sysctl knob and seeing if that fixes your resume issues:
>     > hw.acpi.reset_video=1
>
>     Thanks, I'll be away for around three weeks, I'll test some time in September.
>

> Hi
>
> Make sure you also update the drm packages from ports when you're back. There was an issue causing kernel panic for amdgpu and radeon on suspend/resume that has been fixed. It should be available in an updated pkg later this week.
> Try drm-stable or drm-devel. drm-devel will require a rather recent 12/13-CURRENT.

Now:

$ date ; uname -v
Sun 23 Sep 2018 07:16:54 BST
FreeBSD 12.0-ALPHA7 r338892 GENERIC-NODEBUG
$ uname -a
FreeBSD momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd 12.0-ALPHA7 FreeBSD 12.0-ALPHA7 r338892 GENERIC-NODEBUG  amd64
$ pkg info drm-next-kmod | grep Version
Version        : 4.11.g20180822
$ grep -i radeon /etc/rc.conf | grep kld
# kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
# kld_list="radeonkms"

It seems that working without any drm-next-* and booting without CSM is the best combination.

There's the tearing during most of startup, but it's not a showstopper. For single user mode, I have a mental note to F10 at boot and temporarily enable CSM.

Temporarily, because with CSM I can't resume from suspend.

----

If I un-comment this:

kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

– then the display goes blank, but remains lit, before startup completes. No response to Control-Alt-F2, no response to a normal press on the power button, it's necessary to force off the computer.

If I'm not mistaken, drm-next-kmod was _less_ troublesome with a slightly less recent -CURRENT. I could use the computer, but there was a tendency to (for example) flicker badly, most noticeable with a VGA display (connected via the HP dock for the 8570p) after some idle time. I often found the flickering at the lock screen of KDE Plasma 5.