SD card reader only works after a suspend/resume

Marius Strobl marius at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 12 22:13:23 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 07, 2018 at 04:52:12PM +0200, Jakob Alvermark wrote:
> On 9/7/18 12:41 AM, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 12:33:39PM +0200, Jakob Alvermark wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> I discovered this by chance.
> >>
> >> The SD card reader in my laptop has never worked, but now I noticed it
> >> does after suspending and resuming.
> >>
> >> The controller is probed and attached on boot:
> >>
> >> sdhci_acpi1: <Intel Bay Trail/Braswell SDXC Controller> iomem
> >> 0x90a00000-0x90a00fff irq 47 on acpi0
> >>
> >> But nothing happens if I put a card in. Unless I suspend and resume:
> >>
> >> mmc1: <MMC/SD bus> on sdhci_acpi1
> >> mmcsd0: 32GB <SDHC SL32G 8.0 SN 19CD02C0 MFG 11/2014 by 3 SD> at mmc1
> >> 50.0MHz/4bit/65535-block
> >>
> >> Then I can remove and replug cards and it seems to work just fine.
> > I believe that making SD card insertion/removal with the integrated
> > SDHCI controlers of newer Intel SoCs work out-of-the-box requires
> > support for ACPI GPE interrupts and ACPI GPIO events respectively to
> > be added to FreeBSD. Otherwise insertion/removal interrutps/events
> > aren't reported and polling the card present state doesn't generally
> > work as a workaround with these controllers either, unfortunately.
> > I'm not aware of anyone working on the former, though.
> >
> > Polling the card present state happens to work one time after SDHCI
> > initialization with these controllers which is why a card will be
> > attached when inserted as part of a suspend/resume cycle (resume of
> > mmc(4) had some bugs until some months ago, which probably explains
> > why that procedure hasn't worked as a workaround for you in the past).
> > Inserting the card before boot, unloading/loading sdhci_acpi.ko or
> > triggering detach/attach of sdhci_acpi(4) via devctl(8) should allow
> > to attach a card, too.
>

> If a card is inserted before booting it is not detected.
>
> Removing and inserting card after boot is not detected unless I suspend
> and resume.
>
> After I have suspended and resumed once, cards are detected. Removals
> and insertions are detected as they happen.

Okay, then you are seeing somewhat different behavior than I do. What
SoC model is this? Are you loading a GPIO controller driver such as
bytgpio(4) or chvgpio(4)? Doing so might be sufficient to kick ACPI
GPIO events into working but would be missing dependency information
between drivers (which might explain what you are experiencing if
sdhci_acpi1 attaches first) and some other bits to do it properly.
Also, could you please try whether doing a suspend/resume cycle of
sdhci_acpi1 via devctl(8) only kicks the card detection into working?
That test should indicate whether the firmware plays a role in making
the latter work.

Marius