drm confusion / xorg / AMD RX580 GPU

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Tue Oct 9 23:19:14 UTC 2018

On 10/10/2018 00:13, Johannes Dieterich wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 9, 2018, tech-lists wrote:
>> On 08/10/2018 19:55, Johannes Dieterich wrote:
>>> Depends what the boinc client uses. OpenCL - you will need graphics/clover which is not officially supported by AMD but may work. ROCm/HIP - won't work.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is ROCm/HIP ?
> https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm
>
> Our open acceleration stack. HIP is a kernel language akin to CUDA.

But the page says the RX580 is supported:

[quote]

ROCm officially supports AMD GPUs that have use following chips:

     GFX8 GPUs
         "Fiji" chips, such as on the the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and
Radeon Instinct MI8
         "Polaris 10" chips, such as on the AMD Radeon RX 580 and Radeon
Instinct MI6
         "Polaris 11" chips, such as on the AMD Radeon RX 570 and Radeon
Pro WX 4100
     GFX9 GPUs
         "Vega 10" chips, such as on the AMD Radeon Radeon RX Vega 64
and Radeon Instinct MI25

[unquote]

Is this incorrect?

thanks,