[self base packages] pkg: packages for wrong OS version: FreeBSD:12:amd64

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 10 18:53:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 09:29:04PM +0300, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use self built base packages. Seems that I have a problem with pkg.
> Today I've got this:
> ===
> % sudo pkg update -f
> Updating FreeBSD-base repository catalogue...
> Fetching meta.txz: 100%    268 B   0.3kB/s    00:01
> Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%   29 KiB  29.4kB/s    00:01
> Processing entries:   0%
> pkg: Newer FreeBSD version for package FreeBSD-libulog:
> - package: 1200055
> - running kernel: 1200054
> pkg: repository FreeBSD-base contains packages for wrong OS version:
> FreeBSD:12:amd64
> Processing entries: 100%
> Unable to update repository FreeBSD-base
> [...]
>
> % uname -aKU
> FreeBSD latt.bsnet 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #2 r327719: Tue Jan
>  9 14:32:13 MSK 2018
> bsam at builder.bsnet:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/PKG64X  amd64
> 1200054 1200054
>
> % pkg -v
> 1.10.4

hum

pkg now has a mechanism to protect from installing too new package (aka packages
built on a more recent system than the system you are running on.

While this is great for ports this is a bit painful for upgrading base packages
when building on current

One has to specify pkg -o OSVERSION=1200055 to allow packages built on 1200055
to install on 1200054.

I need to figure out a mechanism to make this simpler to handle to upgrade of
base system while keeping this safety belt for users.

Any idea is welcome

Best regards,
Bapt