P2P core/daemon in Base?

Le Baron d’Merde lebarondemerde at privacychain.ch
Thu Feb 22 02:52:18 UTC 2018

Dear Fellows,

Nothing new and probably will not be implemented, specially by me who can't write code, but I am sharing this idea anyway.

The point would be to have a P2P core/daemon in Base with some API to be used by clients, including pkg, freebsd-update, and portsnap becoming P2P based/capable, and would also allowing any user that desire to become a FreeBSD mirror[1]. What would reduce the load on the FreeBSD infrastructure.

Other than those, idealistic, that built-in P2P core to be also capable of handling
"modern" needs, like a net/syncthing equivalent client, and the usual torrent clients (CLI,
GTK, Qt etc.).

Some time ago, while digging in the Syncthing resources I found some people willing
to use that to keep files synced between thousands of servers, and so I imagine this
kind of feature would (very?) be appealing at enterprise level.

This piece of software could of course be integrated with IPFW, Capsicum or wherever be necessary, possible or desired.

1 - The FreeBSD mirror capability would be a separated feature allowing for those who
desire to partially mirror the FreeBSD packages, etc. For instance in a way that user
to mirror from just the latest packages to everything.

--
Best Regards.
LBdM.