WITH_META_MODE: any effect? Tree built twice!

Simon J. Gerraty sjg at juniper.net
Thu Dec 13 18:04:49 UTC 2018

O. Hartmann <o.hartmann at walstatt.org> wrote:
> I'm able to reproduce this behaviour easily: make cleanworld; kldload filemon (if not
> already loaded); make buildworld buildkernel

Why are you doing cleanworld?

> After the build has finished, install everything accordingly and reboot. Then kldload
> filemon and make buildworld buildkernel in /usr/src - and be surprised.

Not surprised at all - all of your toolchain etc will be newer
and hence cause everything to be out of date.

I believe Bryan added some knobs to supress this particular check,
though I don't recall what they are.

It's not something we deal with here since we never actually install
what we are building on the build host.
I have trees I haven't cleaned in years - no need to.