r336876 breaks sysutils/acpi_call

Theron theron.tarigo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 03:51:24 UTC 2018

A recent change in CURRENT has sysutils/acpi_call reliably cause a
kernel panic when run on a Dell XPS laptop system.  I bisected this to
r336876: Use SMAP on amd64.  I would have thought that this is a simple
compatibility problem requiring only a port update, except that the same
kernel and acpi_call on different hardware are not affected.  On the
problematic system, the kernel module loads without incident; it is when
executing ACPI commands, even normally harmless operations such as
requesting read-only constants, that the system freeze occurs.  ACPI
functionality seems otherwise unaffected.

Kernel debugging console and crash dumps are also broken on this system
(I suspect due to Intel graphics) however it is an unrelated problem,
and is only an excuse for my inability to provide any further crash
information.

Having already bisected to the breaking commit, is there anything else I
should do to improve the chances this problem gets fixed, or are there
any hardware compatibility notes I may have missed?

Theron