drm / drm2 removal in 12

Stefan Hagen sh+freebsd-current at codevoid.de
Sat Aug 25 09:06:33 UTC 2018

blubee blubeeme wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 7:43 AM Kris Moore <kris at ixsystems.com>wrote:
>> I've been personally using the new DRM bits since almost day one. I
>> haven't found it to be unstable in the slightest. Compared to not
>> having it and being forced to run 5+ year old hardware, it's been a
>> huge blessing for those of us who care about running FreeBSD as a
>> modern desktop / laptop.
>>
>> FreeBSD being an open source project, you are welcome to contribute
>> back your work anytime. But since I don't imagine we'll see that
>> patch coming anytime soon, I'll stick with this new LinuxKPI-powered,
>> Plasma-desktop running awesomeness.
>>
>> (Written from my brand new Lenovo P71 which worked flawlessly out of
>> box)
>
> Please tell me more about you're modern hardware, Kris Vice President
> of Engineering at iXsystems.
>
> Try asking a person who doesn't run server infrastructure software and
> hardware to get that stuff up and running, would you?

Do you want to ask me? I'm mostly a private individual and linux/debian
user that got fed up with the Linux fragmentation and direction of
development (from a user perspective). I found my new home in FreeBSD.
I migrated my (hobby) root server and have a few jails up and running
and doing random stuff on them for myself and friends.

Key to this was that I was able to get FreeBSD up and running on my
Laptop - with the drm-next kmod - and use it daily to get used to it and
learn about it. Actually it was a pain in the ass because back then I
had to learn how to make -current run and even worse, I had to use the
drm-next graphics branch from a github repository which wasn't even
on the main FreeBSD account. I was forced to update the kernel every
once in a while because the pkg update would complain otherwise. It
frequently broke and I had to deal with it and learn how to recover it.

The alternative would have been to go back to Linux, which has a whole
lot more to complain about. So I stayed. And I'm happy with it.

I accepted all this trouble to have decent graphics support. In all
the time I had to fight -current issues a lot more than anything
drm/graphics related. This stuff was always stable for me.

I saw a few people trying out FreeBSD. And the first thing after the
Installation is always: Graphics and Wifi. That's what people need.

These are "desktop needs", where supporting new hardware fast is more
important than being rock stable and feature complete.

Just my 2 cents,
Stefan

--
Stefan Hagen