Native Encryption for ZFS on FreeBSD CFT

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 22 19:41:58 UTC 2018

Only encrypting L0 blocks also leaks a lot of information.  That means
that, if encryption is set to anything but "off", watermarking attacks will
still be possible based on the size and sparsity of a file.  Because I
believe that with any encryption mode, ZFS turns continuous runs of zeros
into holes.  And I don't see anything in zio_crypt.c that addresses that.
-Alan