extending the maximum filename length

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 8 17:15:42 UTC 2017

Has anyone using freeBSD ever increased NAME_MAX (filename maximum
length) and have any experience with it?

We ($JOB) would recompile the entire system so intra-system
compatibility would probably be ok, and we have our own filesystem
which would support it.

But I wonder if anyone has tried it and hit unexpected problems.

reason:  Chinese and Japanese people who have gotten into the habit of
having a filename of 256 CHINESE/JAPANESE characters in Microsoft and
want to store their files on a FreeBSD based server witout having to
rename everything. (3 bytes for each of those characters giving a
limit of 83 characters).

(though since each character is a word the names if I could read them
must be amazing)

NFS behaviour is one issue I don't know but would be interested in..
could we SERVE such files?

Julian