gptzfsboot grew a lot after skein support was added; need knob to control bloat

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Jan 28 16:56:49 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 28/1/17 4:16 am, Ngie Cooper wrote:
>>>
>>> On Jan 27, 2017, at 09:05, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

>>> I'm curious why you can't find the space for a bigger partition?
>>> Almost all drives these days are partitioned with a little wasted
>>> space, and that wasted space should be more than enough to cover us
>>> here. Also, most drives have a swap partition that can be shrunk a
>>> trivial amount to get space for this...
>>
>> Unfortunately, in my infinite wisdom (IIRC) I put the zfs partition before
>> the swap partition.

So? It literally doesn't matter where the freebsd-boot partition
lives, or what it's number is. You can put it at the start or end of
the swap partition after adjusting its size. I've done this on several
systems...  NanoBSD plays games with this stuff as well to be bootable
on old / new systems.

>> We have a similar problem at work with sys/boot unfortunately, but that's
>> a side discussion for another time/place.
>>
>> Thank you for the idea though -- I'll check when I get back to work.
>

> at $JOB we are just testing a script that expands the root zfs partition on
> in-field appliances by shaving a bit off swap and cannibalising a small data
> partition we don't really use. I see we only left 64K for the boot part.
> It's big enough for us for now, but possibly we should fix that as well.
> We have a mirror setup for system disks so we have the ability to take each
> system drive offline one at a time and rearrange it and then re-add the root
> partition to the mirror.
> What are the chances a regular gpt+ZFS (no encrypt) bootblock will grow over
> 64K?

Hard to say. Given boot1/boot2 growth over time, I'd peg that close to 100%.

Warner