ISO image: where is the CLANG compiler?

Jeffrey Bouquet jbtakk at iherebuywisely.com
Sun Jan 22 02:13:17 UTC 2017

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 16:47:56 -0600, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 07:38:30PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> >
> > Random thought:
> >
> > Brought up out-of-band, can you try this from a memstick.img and your
> > already-built userland/kernel to do what you had originally tried to
> > install the system?
> >
> >  # make -C /usr/src WITHOUT_SYSTEM_COMPILER=1 DESTDIR=/wherever installworld
> >
> > I think this is why cc(1)/clang(1) is not being used from /usr/obj, and
> > you don't have a compiler to compile the compiler.
>
> Sorry for jumping in late, and thanks for bringing this up -- I was surprised
> that we had gone so long without someone making the claim that a compiler
> should not be necessary for installworld/installkernel (as was my understanding).
> If indeed a compiler is necessary for those (perhaps only under certain
> circumstances such as those experienced by Oliver) it would be good to understand
> why.
>
> -Ben

That may be a reason to develop the not-specific (sorry...) idea that installworld
should install to a small duplicate of  where it Does, and  complete, before the Actual
installworld so that if the latter cannot complete, a small rescue shell with rsync
embedded or an equivalent can copy the bare-minimum set of files over the
mixture of new and old... which I have had to several times do more or less
piecemeal, and more often than not sufficed to bring the system back whole.