vt(4) chops off the leftmost three columns

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 13 23:11:54 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya)
<yaneurabeya at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Jan 12, 2017, at 18:13, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 January 2017 at 18:50, Alan Somers <asomers at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> I've seen three separate machines where FreeBSD11's vt(4) driver chops
>>> off the leftmost three columns of the screen.  Rendering simply starts
>>> at the beginning of the fourth column.  In all cases, setting
>>> "kern.vty=sc" corrects the problem.
>>
>> Or try setting hw.vga.textmode=1
>>
>> Did you observe this with IPMI redirected video or an attached monitor
>> (or a combination)?
>
> I’ll have to double check, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this with my Haswell box (Escher) over VGA using my projector.
> Thanks,
> -Ngie

I take it back.  The first three columns _are_ rendered, but they
don't show up on some monitiors.  It's as if those monitors require a
minimum amount of overscan on the left side of the screen, and vt(4)
doesn't provide enough.  Can that be tuned?
-Alan