current freebsd graphics stack

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 10:15:29 UTC 2017

Hi Johannes

I was asking about the current state of those three main items.

I just looked at the linuxkpi thing and it's a wrapper around the linux
version of DRM but isn't DRM a open standard, if we keep chasing down linux
the more they move their stuff into their kernel the harder it will become
to maintain these things on FreeBSD even though it might be more work
upfront?

It seems like evdev is the same story, xorg was moving to libinput, I
believe.

Is there a reason why we have to wrap the linux things and why couldn't we
just write our own that can then be tied closely to the BSD kernel while
still sticking to the standards.

To be honest I don't have the slightest idea how massive GEM, KMS and DRM
are just yet but it seems like adding a wrapper around another OS kernel
into that mix can only go bad.

How many people are working on the project with you at the moment?

Best,
Owen