[RFC] remove GNU rcs from FreeBSD 12

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Nov 3 15:05:24 UTC 2016

On 11/03/2016 01:42, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 3/11/2016 10:45 AM, Pete Wright wrote:

>>> why should we remove it?
>>> What will replace it?  it's an integral part of many people's systems.
>>>
>>> Is there a non gnu RCS with the same features?
>>>

>> surprised to hear so many people are dependent upon having rcs in
>> their base system.  there are options though - for example OpenBSD
>> uses OpenRCS in their base:
> I don't see what is surprising about it.
> It's been common "best practice" for decades to keep all your files in
> /etc under source control. RCS fits he bill well and many people have
> it in their muscle memory.

heh - not trying to start a bike shed, and I certainly have used RCS in
that manner in the past, although I supplanted it for a configuration
management engine quite a while ago as the industry moved towards more
distributed environments where systems automation became more practical.

regardless - sounds like people still using rcs should be able to kick
the tires on OpenRCS and see if it fits their needs.

-pete