2 config files not installed from recent 11-current snapshot
gjb at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 29 22:56:44 UTC 2016
On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 10:41:16PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 10:35:33PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> > On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:30:05AM +0200, Ben Woods wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I recently reinstalled my FreeBSD laptop using a 11-current snapshot from
> > > the end of April.
> > >
> > > Today I noticed that 2 cofiguration files were not install in the system:
> > > /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
> > > /etc/dma/dma.conf
> > >
> > > I have done 2 PkgBase upgrades since then (with an etcupdate run also after
> > > each upgrade), but PkgBase shouldn't have touched these files since config
> > > files are not included in packages yet.
> > >
> > > Given that FreeBSD 11 is nearing release, it might be worth double checking
> > > that this isn't a problem on the latest 11 snapshots (those 2 files are on
> > > the system after the installer is run). I would check myself, but am
> > > travelling and don't have the resources, sorry.
> > >
> > FWIW, the 11.0 snapshots do not use the pkgbase stuff for anything.
> > The problem here, I *think*, is that dma.conf is part of the FreeBSD-dma
> > package. This is primarily the underlying issue with everything else in
> > /etc - for pkgbase, they are handled by "install*" targets, but the
> > tools used to merge these files (etcupdate(8) and mergemaster(8)) deal
> > with files handled by the "distrib*" targets ('make distribution').
> > I'm not sure why ppp.conf wasn't installed though. I'll look into this.
> I just checked the base.txz distribution used by bsdinstall(8), and both
> of these files are definitely non-existent outside of etcupdate(8).
> I'll look into this further. Thank you again for reporting this.
Ugh, I see the problem. It's the problem as described above, but I was
not aware these two files were still being handled this way.
Working on a fix now, but it will take a bit of time since I need to go
through commit logs to find what else is being handled like this that
went unnoticed (there were a few similar cases that were fixed already).
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the freebsd-current