UEFI root on ZFS (encrypted?)

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Sun May 15 16:10:06 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-15 11:38, Ben Woods wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 May 2016, Allan Jude <allanjude at freebsd.org
> <mailto:allanjude at freebsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 2016-05-15 05:19, Ben Woods wrote:
>     > Hi everyone,
>     >
>     > I would like to reinstall my laptop to get root on ZFS with UEFI.
>     I will
>     > use a recent snapshot image to install FreeBSD 11 current.
>     >
>     > There has been a lot of good work on this lately, and I have
>     fallen out
>     > of touch with the status. A couple of questions:
>     >
>     > 1. Can the UEFI loader now boot root on ZFS without a freebsd-boot
>     > partition?
>
>     Yes, you just need the EFI partition
>
>     >
>     > 2. Can it do it with geli encryption?
>     >

>     Not yet
>
>     --
>     Allan Jude
>

> Ok, thanks for that. Is there a review on phabricator (or multiple) that
> I can build a release iso with and help test for this setup (with or
> without it being in the installer)?
>
> A search of phabricator shows there are a number that could be related.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>

> --
>
> --
> From: Benjamin Woods
> woodsb02 at gmail.com <mailto:woodsb02 at gmail.com>

None of my work GELI touches EFI yet.

Eric McCorkle (who did most of the original EFI ZFS work) is doing that,
he just posted an update on his work about 90 minutes ago on
freebsd-hackers@:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2016-May/049435.html

I am not sure if he has posted the GELI patches yet, but he'd be the
person to contact about testing.

--
Allan Jude