UEFI Booting on a Thinkpad Yoga 11e w/ Security Chip

Kyle Evans kevans91 at ksu.edu
Fri Mar 18 21:11:13 UTC 2016

Hello!

I recently purchased an older Thinkpad Yoga 11e and now I've installed
10.3RC2 to it. It appears that the Security Chip feature causes
problems in attempting to boot 10.3RC2 (and a slightly older -CURRENT,
as well, but re-tested with 10.3RC2 just for the sake of
verification). The following output is written when attempting to boot
from the `amd64-uefi-memstick.img`:

==

>> FreeBSD EFI boot block
   Loader path: /boot/loader.efi
 LoadImage failed with error 2
 HandleProtocol failed with error 2
 StartImage failed with error 2
 panic: Load failed

==

Rebooting and disabling the security chip fixes this, and everything
runs along nicely. Re-enabling the Security Chip after 10.3RC2 is
installed and attempting a boot yields the slightly different (while
slightly expected, given the above, but I'm adding this anyways):

==

>> FreeBSD EFI boot block
    Loader Path: /boot/loader.efi

    Initializing modules: ZFS UFS
    Probing 4 block devices. . . . . .* done
        ZFS found the following pools: zroot
        UFS found no partitions
Failed to load image provided by ZFS, size: 2033504512, (2)
panic: No bootable partitions found!

==

Is this expected behavior? I was under the impression that the
"Security Chip" was largely unrelated to anything in the boot process.