boot loaders got fatter in the last few days

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Fri Mar 18 18:20:08 UTC 2016

On 03/18/16 19:05, Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2016-03-18 13:51, Guido Falsi wrote:
>> On 03/18/16 17:54, José Pérez wrote:
>>> Hi Guido,
>>> maybe it's because of this:
>>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=296963
>>>

>> I see.
>>
>> There is a problem with this though, we have howtos suggesting 64K for
>> the size of the freebsd-boot gpt partition:
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1
>>
>> now that size isn't sufficient anymore. We should at least update these
>> information soon.
>>
>> Also repartitioning could be problematic in certain scenarios. I think
>> this change should be at least published in UPDATING and maybe also in
>> the future release notes for 11.0.
>>
>> Personally I'll find a way of reorganizing my disks to fit this change,
>> but it's something that could byte users.
>>

> Those old bits of the wiki should be burned with fire. The one you link
> to is from 2009 and is full of bad advice, and only covers how to
> install FreeBSD 8.x

I agree with you, having installed this one system following such advice
and having discovered also other problems.

Just yesterday I installed a ZFS system (using UEFI) straight from an
head snapshot and it did everything perfect, so I'm quite happy about
how things evolved.

What I was trying to express is that, just like me, other people could
get bitten by this change. Too me it's just an annoyance of shuffling
partitions around a little, but we should at least have a small warning
for the forthcoming release.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>