[CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

Jeffrey Bouquet jbtakk at iherebuywisely.com
Tue Mar 15 15:21:39 UTC 2016

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 08:53:10 +0100, José Pérez <fbl at aoek.com> wrote:

> El 2016-03-03 11:27, Matthew Seaman escribió:
> > On 03/02/16 23:54, Glen Barber wrote:
> >> Also note (as repeated below), running 'pkg delete -a' will implicitly
> >> remove base system packages after they are installed.
> >
> > This has the potential for many feet to be shot, given that up to now,
> > 'pkg delete -a' would always leave you with a viable system.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Suggested workaround (a las *grep): create two pkg binaries with
> different names:
> - "pkg" does what it does now and works on non-base packages by default.
> Need an extra
>    arg to work on base system
> - "syspkg" (or something) works by default on base system
>
> We'd need way less crutches.
>
> Regards,
>
> ---
> José Pérez

Hmm...
To reiterate this point..........  (1)
As a wish here is for more code within pkg-install so that I do not encounter a situation such
as late last night whereupon I had to spend an extra half hour or so figuring out that hplip installed
a large number of unwanted additional qt4 ports alongside the cups upgrade with pkg, ... so
that a parameter or usual output would show NEW PORTS TO BE INSTALLED alongside each
one from WHICH port is the request to install the new dependency...
as a backdrop for this that I just thought of (2)...
....  what if pkg on the base system deletes SOONER THAN THE USUAL make-delete-old
that PREVENTS/HALTS the successful completion of the pkg updating base?  Something
critical to pkg itself proceeding?  As a typo or bug?......    Maybe another cluster of testing
machines and weeks of testing before each pkg-release-avail or pkg-stable-avail became
known to FreeBSD users in emails... and that would maybe preclude pkg OF BASE from
being useful for CURRENT installs due to a lack of testing, and/or make current upgrades more
risky.  Unless of course pkg of base is NOT relevant to CURRENT builds.  In which case
please pardon the additional text slipping into this two-part food for thought... little time to
keep current on FreeBSD details vs FreeBSD ordinary usage cases.