Broadwell Support FreeBSD 10.1

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 22 23:49:06 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 04:32:06PM -0700, Marek Novotny wrote:
> New to this group, and new to FreeBSD via PC-BSD. Really like it so far.
> Sorry if this has been asked to death already. Levono has their new T450
> with the 5th gen intel Broadwell i5 processor. I bought it with the hopes of
> running PC-BSD latest version on it. It uses intel 5500 graphics as well.
> Any potential issues using this??

You won't be able to use accelerated graphics.

I have the T540p which has the i7-4800MQ, and am quite happy with
running FreeBSD CURRENT on it.  I don't care about accelerated graphics
too much, though.

One nit with the laptop is I needed to use an external USB flash drive
to store /boot on an MBR partition, because my hard drives are
GPT-partitioned using ZFS on '/' on GELI-encrypted providers.
Otherwise, I have noticed that using the /boot on the GPT disk enforces
low resolution graphics (640x480 IIRC).

By using a USB flash drive for /boot, I can get 1920x1080 resolution
(one of the many reasons for choosing this laptop).

(I've been meaning to put this into the FreeBSD Wiki, but EBUSY.)

Glen