Massive libxo-zation that breaks everything

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 1 19:10:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-01 13:49, Harrison Grundy wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> That does seem useful, but I'm not sure I see the reasoning behind
> putting into base, over a port or package, since processing XML in base
> is a pain, and it can't serve up JSON or HTML without additional
> utilities anyway.
>
> (If I'm reviving a long-settled thing, let me know and I'll drop it. I'm
> trying to understand the use case for this.)
>
> --- Harrison
>
> On 03/01/15 10:31, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Harrison Grundy <
>> harrison.grundy at astrodoggroup.com> wrote:
>>

>>> If someone could summarize what this is, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>>

>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2014-July/015633.html

I think you're missing the important bit here.

This isn't about adding a parser for anything, this is about making the
tools in base, like netstat, wc, uptime, etc, output in JSON or XML, so
you can use the data programmatically.

Your scripts no longer have to rely on awk/sed/grep magic to get a
specific bit of information out of the uptime command, the command can
just output the data in a structured machine readable format.

I am not sure how you can put netstat into the ports tree.

--
Allan Jude