duration of buildworld

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jul 27 18:47:10 UTC 2015

El día Monday, July 27, 2015 a las 03:00:06PM +0300, Slawa Olhovchenkov escribió:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 07:58:04AM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Yesterday I grabbed r285885 from SVN and launched a
> >
> > # make -j2 buildworld
> >
> > which is still running after 19 hours on a server of 2 CPU of the type
> > Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9100  @ 3.06GHz and 4 GByte memory.
> >
> > Last time in January with r276659 on the same host it took only some 8
> > hours, IIRC.
> >
> > Is there anything wrong of what could cause this change of the build
> > time?
>
> May be swap trashing on clang compilation?

This pointed in the right direction. I have had 6x 1 GByte additional
swap partitions to plain files mounted (because I needed this to get
the eclipse port compiled within poudriere). After changing the fstab and
reboot, the 'make buildkernel' takes only half an hour.

Why is this?

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045