Kernel Application Binary Interface (kABI) support in FreeBSD

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 23 13:41:08 UTC 2015

On 7/23/15 6:06 PM, Venkat Duvvuru wrote:
> I will debug this crash.
> At this point, my concern is not about debugging this particular
> issue but whether to commit to our customers or not about the binary
> compatibility of FreeBSD X.0 drivers with all FreeBSD X.Y OS versions.
> I would like to stay safe and tell the customers to build the
> drivers on their respective revisions unless you folks think that
> the binary compatibility is maintained very strictly and this is one
> of those rare bugs.
this is supposed to be possible but whether it actually is depends to
some extent on whether the code in  question is considered likely to
be directly callable by a third party module. Most interfaces that are
likely to be called from network and storage drivers willb e very
stable, as will scheduler interfaces and things like task queues and
thread creation. the more esoteric the more likely that an
incompatibility can be committed and not caught.

> Please let me know.

well, what are you doing?