-current broken when src is on NFS

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 19 16:31:40 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-07-18 at 10:26 -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> O'Connor, Daniel <darius at dons.net.au> wrote:
> > However, Crochet _does_ build on the NFS client _and_ when the source
> > tree isn't in /usr/src which makes this issue very strange :-/
>
> I've seen similar errors in rescue... (no NFS) though I cannot
> quite recall the cause other than it seems very sensitive
> to MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX value.

I've been following this saga (on irc and here) as much as I have time
for, and I can't escape the feeling that it is the directory structure
at fault somehow, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I never (ever) build from /usr/src or use /usr/obj as an object dir
(they're both empty dirs on all my machines).  But one thing that is
always true for me is that the source dir and its related object dir are
siblings in the same parent dir.  That is, it's always

   /any/path/here
      obj/
      src/

Given that we have (or at least had at one time) some of those magical
"..." paths that cause bmake to search up the hierarchy for its .mk
files, I wonder if an odd relationship between src and obj dir confuses
it, or if it somehow wanders into a wrong src tree while searching?

-- Ian