gettimeofday((void *)-1, NULL) implicates core dump on recent FreeBSD 11-CURRENT

Garrett Wollman wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu
Thu Jul 9 14:04:51 UTC 2015

In article
<CAPQ4ffvEm2uzi-QpTm_6MsNeELWfT814G1kE4RGXU6mrZWYPeg at mail.gmail.com>,
oliver.pinter at hardenedbsd.org writes:

>Btw, I have found this is atf's documantation:
>atf_tc_expect_signal(SIGSEGV, "reaseon"), with this, we could mark the
>specific test case could "fail" / or expect to coredump.

No.

I'm not sure why people are having trouble understanding this.

The test in question is not valid C.  It is entirely erroneous, and
should be deleted.  Merely computing the value "(void *)-1" is allowed
to perform LITERALLY ANY ACTION AT ALL, including turning your
computer into a frog.  The compiler is free to implement this as a
call to abort() if it chooses.  Testing this is nonsensical.

-GAWollman