i915kms.ko: when loaded with Haswell HD4600, display goes blank

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 29 22:56:17 UTC 2015

Am Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:19:38 -0800
NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya at gmail.com> schrieb:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM, O. Hartmann
> > <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Having trouble with loading i915kms.ko on a Haswell-based Lenovo ThinkPad E540. The
> >> laptop is equippted with a Intel i5-4200M CPU with integrated HD4600 iGPU. Recent
> >> update of CURRENT and loading of i915kms.ko turns the display immediately blank.
> >> Laptop is accessible via ssh and network. Only display is dead.
> >>
> >> I suppose this a bug?
> >
> > Yes, very much so. What's your svn revision and can you please create
> > a bug for this issue?
>
> Please also read the thread titled "drm2 regression: backlight
> adjustment on ivybridge no longer works" first to see if the symptoms
> describe there match your's.

That is useless, since the reported symptomes do not apply to non-working Haswell.

Since the last update of the OS - today, CURRENT 277900, the high res console is gone and
has fallen back to the 800x600 pixel. The same with the X11 server's display resolution.
I can not use VESA driver on the Lenovo ThinkPad E540 with i5-4200M, since it doesn't
startup. I have to use  xf86-video-scfb which is a pain in the ass.

An alternative is to use Ubuntu on the Lenovo E540 and L540 we purchased.