HEADS-UP: Enabling WITH_DEBUG_FILES by default

David Chisnall theraven at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 12 09:47:12 UTC 2015

On 12 Feb 2015, at 04:49, Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> I would like to see it enabled by default for 11.0-RELEASE.

For everyone concerned about size, remember that the goal for 11.0-RELEASE is to use pkg for the base system, which makes it much easier to:

- Install some debug info later, on demand.
- Split debug info into separate packages so only the relevant bits can be installed when debugging a particular problem.

I probably don't want debug info for everything to be installed on my systems by default and upgraded all of the time, but I really do want to be able to just run a single pkg ins command to get the symbols for whatever it is that I'm experiencing problems with.

David