Is updating contrib/gcc desirable?

David Chisnall theraven at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 31 12:25:37 UTC 2015

On 31 Dec 2015, at 11:59, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> Would it be the right way of solving the problem if I submitted an update of contrib/gcc and contrib/gcclibs from the gcc-5.3.0 tree?

No.

>  Any pitfalls with this?

The newer versions of GCC are GPLv3 and so are unacceptable for the FreeBSD base system.  Most of libgcc in base now comes from compiler-rt.  The correct solution would be to identify the missing functionality in compiler-rt so that it can be fixed (with patches ideally, but even a list of the missing functions and what they do would be helpful).  Things like libquadmath, which are only needed for the port, belong in ports.

David