Unstable kernel (dumbbell) crashes

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Sun Dec 20 18:04:26 UTC 2015

Hello.

I have been away from my FreeBSD system for over 7 months. The first on my return was to update world/kernel then do a full poudriere run for all my packages. The process had many problems; I'm reporting items below as FYI.
I'm tracking https://github.com/dumbbell/freebsd.git for my Radeon card.

1. installworld ran into same problem as below and I got around it by following the prescription therein: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-testing/2015-September/001094.html
Reviewing the questions asked in the thread, I find nothing of significance in my particular case. Thus, still a mystery.

2. The pkgng DB has become buggy & inconsistent. I am preparing to "pkg delete -a" and re-install all from a list after the poudriere run finishes.

3. The newly built kernel keeps crashing and re-booting unpredictably. The poudriere run seems to have something to do with triggering this.

4. Service dbus still fails to start from /etc/rc.conf (which prevents xorg login) and must be started manually.

5. I built and booted into a DEBUG kernel. The system quickly becomes unstable and eventually the simplest commands (ls or cat) take over 60 secs to respond. File containing dmesg output and memory status is attached. However, Memory status seems to be a symptom and not a cause.

Regards.

--
FreeBSD_amd64_11-Current_RadeonKMS
Please CC my email when responding, mail from list is not delivered.