pkg 1.4 freeze please test test test!

Henry Hu henry.hu.sh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:08:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are starting the release process of pkg 1.4, we want to have a better
> release
> process than with every single previous version of pkg. For that we will
> need
> you help!
>
> pkg-devel has been updated to the latest version of pkg as of alpha2.
>
> Changes you can expect in pkg 1.4 are the following:
> - Loads of bug fixes
> - Stricter checking of the path passed via the plist
> - Removal of the bundled libyaml
> - new --raw-format to chose the output format for info -R and search -R
> - ABI is now follwing MACHINE_ARCH (freebsd:10:x86:64 become
> FreeBSD:10:amd64)
>   the old ABI is available as a fallback in ALTABI
> - pkg check now support a quiet mode
> - new 3 way merge code ("stolen" from the fossil-scm) to allow automerging
>   configuration files
> - new @config keyword to mark a file as a config file (during
>   upgrade/reinstallation it will try to merge the configuration with the
> one the
>   user may have modified) an option AUTOMERGE is available to prevent
>   automerging if automerge fails a .pkgnew file will be created along with
> the
>   untouched user version of the configuration
> - The update procedure has been improved and speed up a lot (in particular
> for
>   machine with low resources)
> - The unique identifier has been modified to be pkgname meaning now ports
> can be
>   moved in new categories without having to be considered a different
> package
> - Only libraries starting by lib* are added to the provided libraries
> - General speed up of all operations
>
> We need help in testing, but we also need help in writing regression tests
> !
> The more we have tests the more stable the releases will be.
>
> The release will also allow to be able to package base!

I've just tried pkg-devel 1.4.0.alpha3 and found something strange: when a
pkg is removed, pkgs which depend on it are not removed.

For example:

> sudo pkg remove libX11
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0
packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        libX11-1.6.2_2,1

The operation will free 6 MB.

Proceed with deinstalling packages? [y/N]:
> sudo pkg remove -R libX11
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0
packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        libX11-1.6.2_2,1

The operation will free 6 MB.

Proceed with deinstalling packages? [y/N]:

But pkg info -r libX11 produces a long list. If I downgrade to pkg 1.3.8,
pkg remove libX11 asks me to remove almost everything. Is this a regression?

--
Cheers,
Henry