pkg 1.4 freeze please test test test!

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 28 23:19:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We are starting the release process of pkg 1.4, we want to have a better release
process than with every single previous version of pkg. For that we will need
you help!

pkg-devel has been updated to the latest version of pkg as of alpha2.

Changes you can expect in pkg 1.4 are the following:
- Loads of bug fixes
- Stricter checking of the path passed via the plist
- Removal of the bundled libyaml
- new --raw-format to chose the output format for info -R and search -R
- ABI is now follwing MACHINE_ARCH (freebsd:10:x86:64 become FreeBSD:10:amd64)
  the old ABI is available as a fallback in ALTABI
- pkg check now support a quiet mode
- new 3 way merge code ("stolen" from the fossil-scm) to allow automerging
  configuration files
- new @config keyword to mark a file as a config file (during
  upgrade/reinstallation it will try to merge the configuration with the one the
  user may have modified) an option AUTOMERGE is available to prevent
  automerging if automerge fails a .pkgnew file will be created along with the
  untouched user version of the configuration
- The update procedure has been improved and speed up a lot (in particular for
  machine with low resources)
- The unique identifier has been modified to be pkgname meaning now ports can be
  moved in new categories without having to be considered a different package
- Only libraries starting by lib* are added to the provided libraries
- General speed up of all operations

We need help in testing, but we also need help in writing regression tests !
The more we have tests the more stable the releases will be.

The release will also allow to be able to package base!

regards,
Bapt