WiFi 802.11/ac PCIe supported adaptor

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 19 14:33:59 UTC 2014

Am Sun, 28 Sep 2014 14:50:02 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> schrieb:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >> Networking wasn't an issue for me for years, but now, sitting on a pile of neat new
> >> hardware of which FreeBSD can not make any serious use, let me rethink. Luckily, The
> >> Lenovo laptops have a mini PCIe WiFi NIC - if I'm willing to follow FreeBSDs agony
> >> I'm able to swap the NIC with a piece of hardware that is supported. But it is
> >> additional
> >
> > Unfortunately, many Lenovo laptops lock the BIOS down in such a way that
> > they won't boot without the NIC they were shipped with :(

Yes, I realized this very sadly today. Intel 6300 WiFi adapter isn't recognized, the crap
of Laptop rejects starting firmware and I get a message telling me using uncertified
hardware. Last time I bought a Laptop from Lenovo!

> Well, or a short list of approved Lenovo-branded cards.  In the past,
> Lenovo (or IBM) has supplied Atheros cards.  The trick will be finding
> that list and identifying the chipsets on each.  There are also
> unofficial BIOS modifications to remove the limits.

There are lists, but they are outdated and newer chipsets aren't listed.

There are also some bad hacks changing the PCI ID of the new mini PCIe card to be
recognized by the EFI, but this seems to be very, very difficult to me.

The notebook is now running Ubuntu 14.04. WiFi is recognized by the Linux natively as
well as I can use the nVidia graphics of the notebook. Also the built-in Realtek NIC,
which doesn't work properly even under FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT as of Friday last week (the
NIC is down until it is switched off and on manually), is working as expected.