Processor cores not properly detected/activated?

Tim Bishop tim-lists at bishnet.net
Sat May 24 02:42:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 08:07:03PM -0600, Alan Somers wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Tim Bishop <tim-lists at bishnet.net> wrote:
> > I have a new quad CPU system containing four of these processors:
> >
> > Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7-4830 v2 @ 2.20GHz (2200.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
> >
> > I've tried FreeBSD 10.0, stable/10 and head, but all of them only detect
> > a maximum of 64 "CPUs". There should be 80. Here's the relevant dmesg
> > output (full output attached):
> >
> > FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 64 CPUs
> > FreeBSD/SMP: 3 package(s) x 10 core(s) x 2 SMT threads
>
> Try setting MAXCPU higher.  It's defined by default to 64 in,
> sys/amd64/include/param.h

Ah! Thank you, yes, that fixed it:

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 80 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 4 package(s) x 10 core(s) x 2 SMT threads

Given the number of "CPUs" in some top end processors (up to 30 per
socket), a limit of 64 is starting to seem low. Is it worth doubling it
to 128? Or even higher?

It'd be nice to be able to use a stock kernel with freebsd-update at
least.

Anyway, thanks for your help Alan, at least my system is working fully
now :-)

Tim.

--
Tim Bishop