freebsd and utf-8 directory names

M&S - Krasznai András Krasznai.Andras at mands.hu
Mon Jun 30 06:31:35 UTC 2014

Hi

I have been using FreeBSD as desktop since 2003, and living in a mixed (windows-linux) environment I installed FreeBSd along with my usual (Windows 7) work environment, I have a dualboot configured laptop. I use FreeBSD-10 STABLE.

There is a partition formatted for FAT32 where I store documents which I would like to view (and edit) both in  windows and freebsd.

The problem is that if the path name contains certain Hungarian characters (e.g o with double accent), then libreoffice in FreeBSD refuses to open them complaining about illegal characters. The directory was created in windows, the document also, and I can handle them perfectly from windows (what is more, libreoffice under a linux can also open those documents). Some accented characters are shown as a question mark in FreeBSD, and some others are as a black rectangle; these latter are causing problems. If a file-nam contains such characters then the file is shown as 0- length in Midnight Commander.

I tried some steps described in the „Localization” part of the FreeBSD Handbook, but things did not improve.

I installed PC-BSD with Hungarian language support, thinking that it would handle the localized directory names correctly but no, it gives the same error message.

This problem is really annoying. How could I solve it?

Krasznai András
rendszermérnök
M&S Informatikai Zrt.
1136 Budapest, Pannónia u. 17/A.