FreeBSD 10 and zfsd

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 23 16:39:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks at gmail.com> wrote:

> op 24-03-14 01:18, Alan Somers schreef:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Mark Felder <feld at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Any updates?
>>
>> I've been very busy, but I did finally get those two seqpacket related
>> bugs fixed in head.  The next step is finding time for the merge.
>> Right now my FreeBSD todo list goes:
>> 1) Commit fixes for half a dozen FIB related bugs.  I already have
>> them fixed in my private stable/9 branch, but need to port the fixes
>> to HEAD.
>> 2) Update the zfsd branch.
>>
>> I think that I'll be able to get number 1 done next week, or at least
>> send patches out for review.  I don't know if I'll get to number 2.
>>
>> -Alan
>

> Hello all. Sorry for bringing up on old thread.
> Is there any news on the zfsd part.
> It seems it has been included in Truenas, but I did not see anything hit the
> tree regarding zfsd. Have I missed it or is it still not done.
> FreeBSD 9.3 is about to get released, and 10.1 will follow it would be nice
> to have in a new build..

The projects/zfsd project branch is up to date.  Merging it to CURRENT
is blocked on these tasks.

1) (The biggie) We must resolve the issue with multiple geom opens.
Geom tries to prevent any two consumers from simultaneously opening
the same provider.  This is why, for example, you can't do dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0 if your ada0 has a mounted file system.
However, ZFS internally opens spare devices multiple times.  The only
way that geom will allow that is if ZFS opens devices non-exclusively.
That means that you will lose your protection.  Fixing this correctly
requires deep changes to ZFS to remove the multiple opens.

2) Need to merge in zfsd's functional tests.  I'm currently working on
this issue as time allows.

3) It needs a manpage.

4) Various bug fixes need to be merged to the kernel and to LibZFS.
Coordinating with Illumos makes that process slow.  will@ is working
on it as time allows.

5) libdevctl needs to be made private

6) The sequential packet feature added to devd in the zfsd project
branch at revision r266519 must be merged to head.  It's currently
waiting for review from imp@ and ian at .

For TrueNAS, I believe that delphij@ merged an older version of zfsd
from the project branch.

-Alan