Problems building FreeBSD 9.2 on FreeBSD 10

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 17 23:48:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 04:33:11PM -0700, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Glen Barber <gjb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> For what it is worth, I'm working around this problem by running:
> >>
> >>     # make make buildworld -jN [...]
> >>
> >> Note the extra 'make', which rather than relying on the bootstrap-tools
> >> to determine which make to build, I am specifically telling it to build
> >> fmake.
> >

> > Nice!  That works!
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Craig
>

> Oops, that got me a bit farther, but further along, things failed for me with:

> [...]

> >> .depend
> echo gperf: /usr/lib/libstdc++.a >> .depend
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/gperf/doc (depend)
> make: don't know how to make /usr/lib/libstdc++.a. Stop
> *** [bootstrap-tools] Error code 2
> 1 error
> *** [_bootstrap-tools] Error code 2
> 1 error
> *** [buildworld] Error code 2
> 1 error
>

> Oh well.

This is because the build is (wrongly) using the host libstdc++ instead
of creating one within the build environment.

I thought this was fixed a while back, but the snapshot builder tracks
head/, not stable/10 now.

A "fix" would be to build the builder userland with WITH_GNUCXX (and
other WITH_FOOs needed for gcc to be a usable compiler again),
coexisting with clang.

Unfortunately...

Glen