Change for the worse in rsu wireless driver

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 9 07:50:27 UTC 2014

from Adrian Chadd:

> please bug freebsd-usb@ about flakey usb devices.

> I have a couple that i need to chase up hans about. they used to be less flakey.

Flaky USB devices in FreeBSD, also NetBSD, are not limited to wireless adapters.

I get console messages about keyboard and mouse losing connection, when in many cases, mouse and keyboard are still working.

Now I think FreeBSD is topping NetBSD for flaky USB connections.

NetBSD has no support for Hiro H50191 wireless adapter, device rsu, but supports Atheros on-motherboard (quasi-)USB AR9271.

Most of the time, NetBSD fails to load firmware for this Atheros AR9271, error 35, not allowing enough time, but sometimes the firmware loads.

Sorry to be late in responding, losing connection slows me down.

I've been updating FreeBSD-current and stable/10 from source, both amd64 and i386, whenever I see a change in rsu or re driver.

On MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, of open-source OSes, only Linux and NetBSD connect with Realtek 8111E/8168 Ethernet.

DragonFly newest release, 3.8.0, and OpenBSD 5.4, have same bug as does FreeBSD with this Ethernet.

I've also been busy installing NetBSD-current amd64 and i386, now on hard drive on other computer.

Now I wish I had installed NetBSD-current amd64 and i386 on this computer with MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard before FreeBSD to have something to fall back on when FreeBSD misbehaves with Hiro H50191.

Remember, I needed to update NetBSD-current amd64 and packages, with subversion, using wired Ethernet, to checkout and update FreeBSD src, ports and doc trees; also had to buy a new wireless router when the Netgear router stopped working.

Tom