jail sockstat shows gdnc, gdomap, casperd as enabled

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Tue Jun 3 08:18:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 01:00-0700, Beeblebrox wrote:

> Hi Trond,
>
> > These two are related to GNUstep. If your jails don't run GNUstep,
> > why is GNUstep installed in the first place?
>
> I know that they are related to GNUstep (although I have no idea what
> GNUstep actually does other than act as a messaging system probably like
> dbus). Anyway, I don't understand how & why they start up and that's
> exactly my question. The only insight I can provide, is that /usr/local is
> null_mounted on to jail/usr/local, but that should not really have this
> effect.

I have no experience with GNUstep, but I recall X applications
depending on dbus will start an user instance if there's no system
instance running. I guess the same applies to GNUstep's services.

> > casperd is part of capsicum. You should probably keep this one.
>
> I figured as much re capsicum. So the question becomes "should all jails be
> running capsicum in this case"?

casperd uses local sockets and are thus confined to its jail. Do the
sandboxes in each jail need the casperd services, e.g. the DNS
service? Well, yes, if the sandboxes i.e. can't send UDP datagrams.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |